Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the possible values for the Status column?
- How is status determined?
- What do stub names introduced in version 2.1 mean?
- Are 2.1 stubs backward compatible with 2.0 stubs?
- When I try to connect, I get error 12163. Why?
- Why do I need to set up ASCII extensions?
- Why do I get error 12003 ("Could not rename stub file...") when I try to check out or check in a file?
- Why do I get a "The directory is not empty" message when I try to delete a directory?
Ordering and Licensing Questions:
- Where can I purchase FtpVC?
- How much does FtpVC cost?
- Can I purchase FtpVC with a purchase order?
- Can I purchase FtpVC by phone?
- How is FtpVC delivered? How long is its delivery time?
- Are there any delivery charges or processing fees for FtpVC?
- Is FtpVC a controlled product? What is its Export Control Classification Number (ECCN)?
- Will my license expire?
- How many users can use one FtpVC license? How many machines can it be installed on?
- I lost my license ... What do I do?
- Am I eligible for a free upgrade? How do I do it?
- How do I purchase an upgrade license?
- What operating systems can FtpVC run on?
- What languages does FtpVC support?
- Do you have any authorized resellers?
- I wish to purchase FtpVC licenses on behalf of someone else. How do I do this?
- Why does FtpVC show the evaluation dialog box after I copied my password file?
- Why are some of the features disabled even after I register the software?
- Current: local file is in sync with the remote one
- Modified: local file is newer than the remote one
- Out of date: local file is older than the remote one
- Missing: local file is missing
- Not in project: remote file's stub does not exist
- Local-only: remote file does not exist
- Unknown: CRC of the remote file is not recorded in its stub
- If the remote file does not exist, the status is Local-only.
- Otherwise, figure out local file name by attaching the remote file name to a local directory name.
- If the file's stub does not exist, the status is Not in project.
- Otherwise, if the local file does not exist, the status is Missing.
- Otherwise, get the remote file's CRC stored in the stub. If no stub does not contain CRC, the status is Unknown.
- Calculate the local file's CRC. If it is the same as the remote CRC, the status is Current.
- Otherwise, if the file is checked out by the current user, the status is Modified.
- Otherwise, the status is Out of date.
- CRC of the file
- Latest action code (1 - add, 2 - check out, 3 - check in)
- Name of the user (escaped) who performed the latest action
- Date and time (escaped) of the latest action
- Check-out directory (escaped) (if the latest action was check-out)
7. Why do I get error 12003 ("Could not rename stub file...") when I try to check out or check in a file?There may be a couple of reasons why a file cannot be renamed. Depending on the FTP server, the destination file name may be too long, or the FTP server may not accept some characters in the destination name. Both reasons can be tested by attempting to manually create the destination file using your favorite FTP client.
In the first case, you could reorganize your directory structure to make the path shorter, or use the Windows subst command to map a long directory name to a drive name. In the second, use Project Options | Advanced | Escape Characters For Stub File Names to replace offending characters.
To solve this problem, simply change the FtpVC directory from ".ftpvc" to "ftpvc" in the Project Options | Startup dialog.
Ordering and Licensing Questions
FtpVC pricing page. Multi-license discounts are applied to all orders for more than one license, and educational discounts are available to students and educators.
PO page for information on how to buy FtpVC with a purchase order.
downloaded here, and your password is emailed to you as soon as credit card charges are cleared. We do not ship FtpVC on physical media.
ECCN for our products is EAR99 (not on the Commerce Control List).
If you purchased multiple licenses of FtpVC, you can use it on up to as many personal computers as you have licenses. For example, if you have five licenses of FtpVC, you can install it on up to five personal computers. If the FtpVC is installed on a single computer and is accessed through a network, the number of computers in can be used from must not exceed the number of purchased licenses.
Each license also includes unlimited email support and one year or more of free upgrades (or more, depending on the number of maintenance years purchased).
send an email to PrestoSoft with as much of the following information as you can give us: your registration name, your purchase date, and the email address you used to register FtpVC. The more information that you give us the better the chance that we can recover your password.
send an email to PrestoSoft with your current registration name and number of licenses you own (you can find this information in the About Box). In return you will be emailed instructions on how to purchase an upgrade. If you purchased FtpVC more than once, and you wish to upgrade all of your separate licenses in one consolidated upgrade, please email all of your registration names along with the number of licenses for each registration.
FtpVC purchase page.
- Your password file was generated for a different version of FtpVC.
- You used the right file but put it in a wrong directory. Please make sure that your FtpVC shortcut points to the same directory where the password.bin file is located.
- Use encryption (Project Options | Advanced)
- Use compression (Project Options | Advanced)
- Use recursive subdirectories (Project Options | Options)
- Use multiple check-outs (Project Options | Options)
- Load options and settings upon connecting (Project Options | Startup)
- Define double-click action (Settings | Double-click)