Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the possible values for the Status column?
- How is status determined?
- What do stub names introduced in version 2.1 mean?
- Are 2.1 stubs backward compatible with 2.0 stubs?
- When I try to connect, I get error 12163. Why?
- Why do I need to set up ASCII extensions?
- Why do I get error 12003 ("Could not rename stub file...") when I try to check out or check in a file?
- Why do I get a "The directory is not empty" message when I try to delete a directory?
Ordering and Licensing Questions:
- Where can I purchase FtpVC?
- How much does FtpVC cost?
- Can I purchase FtpVC with a purchase order?
- Can I purchase FtpVC by phone?
- How is FtpVC delivered? How long is its delivery time?
- Are there any delivery charges or processing fees for FtpVC?
- Is FtpVC a controlled product? What is its Export Control Classification Number (ECCN)?
- Will my license expire?
- How many users can use one FtpVC license? How many machines can it be installed on?
- I lost my license ... What do I do?
- Am I eligible for a free upgrade? How do I do it?
- How do I purchase an upgrade license?
- What operating systems can FtpVC run on?
- What languages does FtpVC support?
- Do you have any authorized resellers?
- I wish to purchase FtpVC licenses on behalf of someone else. How do I do this?
- Why does FtpVC show the evaluation dialog box after I copied my password file?
- Why are some of the features disabled even after I register the software?
1. What are the possible values for the Status column?Here's the list of possible values:
- Current: local file is in sync with the remote one
- Modified: local file is newer than the remote one
- Out of date: local file is older than the remote one
- Missing: local file is missing
- Not in project: remote file's stub does not exist
- Local-only: remote file does not exist
- Unknown: CRC of the remote file is not recorded in its stub
2. How is status determined?
- If the remote file does not exist, the status is Local-only.
- Otherwise, figure out local file name by attaching the remote file name to a local directory name.
- If the file's stub does not exist, the status is Not in project.
- Otherwise, if the local file does not exist, the status is Missing.
- Otherwise, get the remote file's CRC stored in the stub. If no stub does not contain CRC, the status is Unknown.
- Calculate the local file's CRC. If it is the same as the remote CRC, the status is Current.
- Otherwise, if the file is checked out by the current user, the status is Modified.
- Otherwise, the status is Out of date.
3. What do the stub names introduced in version 2.1 mean?New stub names contain extra information about the file controlled by the stub and the latest version control action performed on the file:
- CRC of the file
- Latest action code (1 - add, 2 - check out, 3 - check in)
- Name of the user (escaped) who performed the latest action
- Date and time (escaped) of the latest action
- Check-out directory (escaped) (if the latest action was check-out)
4. Are 2.1 stubs backward compatible with 2.0 stubs?When 2.1+ encounters 2.0 stubs, it asks whether the user wishes to convert stubs to the more efficient 2.1 format. If some client versions are still 2.0 (have not yet upgraded to 2.1), nothing bad will happen but 2.0 will not find stub files, and will create new ones with the .stub suffix. Thus 2.0 will not know the check-out history, and will have its own (parallel with 2.1, but shorter) history.
5. When I try to connect, I get error 12163. Why?Error 12163 (ERROR_INTERNET_DISCONNECTED) is the result of the Internet Explorer being in "Work Offline" mode. FtpVC uses the WinInet Windows library for its FTP functionality, and if you switch to Work Offline mode in IE, it will affect all programs on your computer that use WinInet. Uncheck Work Offline in IE and connect with FtpVC again.
6. Why do I need to set up ASCII extensions?If a binary file is received as ASCII, it will be corrupt - because during the FTP transfer, e.g. from UNIX to MS Windows, '\n' will be replaced with '\r\n'. On the other hand, if you transfer any file as binary, it is guaranteed that both files will be identical in byte-to-byte comparison. This is why we wanted to have the users make an explicit inclusion of their ASCII file extensions.
7. Why do I get error 12003 ("Could not rename stub file...") when I try to check out or check in a file?There may be a couple of reasons why a file cannot be renamed. Depending on the FTP server, the destination file name may be too long, or the FTP server may not accept some characters in the destination name. Both reasons can be tested by attempting to manually create the destination file using your favorite FTP client.
In the first case, you could reorganize your directory structure to make the path shorter, or use the Windows subst command to map a long directory name to a drive name. In the second, use Project Options | Advanced | Escape Characters For Stub File Names to replace offending characters.
8. Why do I get a "The directory is not empty" message when I try to delete a directory?The problem arises because FtpVC by default used ".ftpvc" before version 2.6 as the directory name where stub files and previous file versions are stored. Some servers hide all items whose names start with "." and as a result, FtpVC (which uses WinInet.dll, provided by Windows), is incapable of viewing these directories, and so doesn't know which files/directories to delete.
To solve this problem, simply change the FtpVC directory from ".ftpvc" to "ftpvc" in the Project Options | Startup dialog.
Ordering and Licensing Questions
1. Where can I purchase FtpVC?A wide variety of secure purchase options is offered at FtpVC's purchase page.
2. How much does FtpVC cost?For information about FtpVC's price, see the FtpVC pricing page. Multi-seat discounts are applied to all orders for more than one seat, and educational discounts are available to students and educators.
3. Can I purchase FtpVC with a purchase order?Sure. See our PO page for information on how to buy FtpVC with a purchase order.
4. Can I purchase FtpVC by phone?We do not provide order by phone option at this time.
5. How is FtpVC delivered? How long is its delivery time?Delivery is electronic and automatic. The software is downloaded here, and your password is emailed to you as soon as credit card charges are cleared. We do not ship FtpVC on physical media.
6. Are there any delivery charges or processing fees for FtpVC?No.
7. Is FtpVC a controlled product? What is its Export Control Classification Number (ECCN)?FtpVC is not a controlled product. The ECCN for our products is EAR99 (not on the Commerce Control List).
8. Will my license expire?No, your license will never expire. You'll always be able to use your license with the FtpVC version you purchased. You are also eligible for all releases made available within one year from the time of your purchase (or longer if you purchased a longer maintenance period), even if they are for newer versions than the one you purchased. You will not be forced to upgrade just because a new version is available.
9. How many users can use one FtpVC license? How many machines can it be installed on?If you purchased a single-seat (personal) license, you can use FtpVC on up to three (3) computers, as long as it is used only by the individual for whom the license was purchased.
If you purchased a multi-seat license of FtpVC, you can use it on up to as many computers as you have seats. For example, if you have five seats of FtpVC, you can install it on up to five computers. If the FtpVC is installed on a single computer and is accessed through a network, the number of computers in can be used from must not exceed the number of purchased seats.
Each license also includes unlimited email support and one year or more of free upgrades (or more, depending on the number of maintenance years purchased).
10. I lost my license ... What do I do?If you lost your license, simply send an email to PrestoSoft with as much of the following information as you can give us: your registration name, your purchase date, and the email address you used to register FtpVC. The more information that you give us the better the chance that we can recover your password.
11. Am I eligible for a free upgrade? How do I do it?Your FtpVC license enables you to use any release of FtpVC made available up to a year after your purchase (or longer if you purchased a longer maintenance period). To get a newer release of FtpVC that you are eligible to use, simply go to our download page.
12. How do I purchase an upgrade license?If you wish to use a release of FtpVC made available more than a year after you purchased your last license (or longer if you purchased a longer maintenance period), you need to purchase an upgrade license. To order an upgrade, please send an email to PrestoSoft with your current registration name and number of seats you own (you can find this information in the About Box). In return you will be emailed instructions on how to purchase an upgrade. If you purchased FtpVC more than once, and you wish to upgrade all of your separate licenses in one consolidated upgrade, please email all of your registration names along with the number of licenses for each registration.
13. What operating systems can FtpVC run on?FtpVC can run on Windows 98/Me/2000/XP/2003/Vista. It has been reported that FtpVC can be run reasonably well on Unix/Linux/Mac OS X systems using Wine.
14. What languages does FtpVC support?At present, we offer FtpVC only in English.
15. Do you have any authorized resellers?We don't use resellers. All our e-commerce providers can be found on the FtpVC purchase page.
16. I wish to purchase FtpVC licenses on behalf of someone else. How do I do this?To purchase FtpVC licenses on behalf of someone else, simply enter their name as the Registration Name during the purchase process, and either include your client's email address on the purchase form or use your email address and then forward to your client the password email you receive after the purchase.
17. Why does FtpVC show the evaluation dialog box after I copied my password file?This is usually due to one (or both) of the following reasons:
- Your password file was generated for a different version of FtpVC.
- You used the right file but put it in a wrong directory. Please make sure that your FtpVC shortcut points to the same directory where the password.bin file is located.
18. Why are some of the features disabled even after I register the software?When the 30-day evaluation period ends, certain advanced features of FtpVC become disabled, and for some of these features it is done by resetting the program options. After registration these options do not become automatically enabled (after all, they may be disabled by a user for any reason). This is why, if you want to get all of the advanced features restored after the registration, you need to go to FtpVC Options and Project Options and enable the following:
- Use encryption (Project Options | Advanced)
- Use compression (Project Options | Advanced)
- Use recursive subdirectories (Project Options | Options)
- Use multiple check-outs (Project Options | Options)
- Load options and settings upon connecting (Project Options | Startup)
- Define double-click action (Settings | Double-click)
Copyright © 1997-2023 PrestoSoft LLC. All rights reserved.