ExamDiff Pro by PrestoSoft LLC is a visual Windows tool for file and directory comparison. It has a number of simple and convenient features that many users have been expecting for a long time from a comparison program.
- Compares text files, binary files, and directories.
- Performs two-way and three-way diff and merge.
- Highlights differences down to the level of lines, words or characters.
- Features customizable syntax highlighting for document types, such as C++, Java, XML, and much more.
- Uses fuzzy matching to intelligently align similar lines.
- Allows the creation of manual links in file comparison.
- Recognizes and marks moved blocks.
- Displays a Line Inspector panel for easy recognition of differences within lines.
- Allows editing files within file comparison panes.
- Prints and print previews diff reports.
- Includes full Unicode support.
- Can perform full file comparison in a background task in directory comparison.
- Performs automated directory synchronization.
- Allows creation of directory snapshots for later comparison.
- Performs synchronous and simple word wrapping of long lines.
- Remembers a user-specified number of last compared first and second files or directories.
- Automatically detects file or directory changes and prompts the user to re-compare.
- Includes a one-click re-compare function that attempts to leave the viewer's focus in the same place as before the re-compare.
- Features extensive drag and drop support.
- Allows file or directory comparison from the directory comparison panes with a simple double-click on one of the files or directories to be compared.
- Allows the copying, renaming, and deleting files or directories from the directory comparison panes via menu, toolbar buttons, or a right button pop up. Any of these operations is followed by automatic re-synchronization of the compared directories. You can also sort directories in the left or the right pane by name, size, type, or last modification time without losing synchronization.
- Saves the differences as a Unix, HTML, or printable diff report.
- Enables easy navigation through the differences both via "Next Difference"/"Current Difference"/"Previous Difference" buttons and hot keys and via a list box of all the differences.
- Allows the copying of text from the file comparison panes via drag and drop, a hot key, or a right button pop up.
- Includes a simple "Search" command to search for strings in the comparison panes. It also remembers a user-specified number of most recent searches, as well as allowing regular-expression searches.
- Features customizable colors.
- Includes a fully customizable file name, extension, and/or path filter for directory comparison. For example, the user can choose only .c and .cpp files or any other files he/she chooses to be compared.
- Includes support for name filter sets, and preinstalled filter sets for C++, Delphi, XML, and much more.
- Includes a customizable date and size filter for directory comparison.
- Contains tooltips, which include file or directory properties (when the mouse cursor is placed over the pane title bars), difference number (when the cursor is over the yellow bar marking the current difference), and etc.
- Features an adjustable pane splitter with smooth synchronized scrolling.
- Allows easy toggling between horizontal and vertical splitter orientation as well as splitter centering and hiding of panes.
The latest version of ExamDiff Pro can always be downloaded here.
The freeware version of ExamDiff Pro is called ExamDiff. It doesn't have all the features of ExamDiff Pro, such as directory comparison. ExamDiff can be downloaded here.
ExamDiff is a part of a suite of products that includes FtpVC, a tool for FTP-based version control. FtpVC allows joint software development remotely over the Internet. For the latest version of FtpVC please visit the FtpVC home page.