Freeware Visual File Comparison Tool
Drag and drop support
Easy navigation and search
Command line interface
What is ExamDiff?
ExamDiff is a freeware Windows 95/98/Me/2000/XP/2003/Vista/7/2008 tool for visual file comparison. It is quick and very simple to use, and has a number of convenient features that many users have been asking for a long time from a file comparison tool.
ExamDiff is a part of a suite of products that includes FtpVC, an FTP-based Version Control System that allows joint software development remotely over the Internet.
What ExamDiff Can't Do (But ExamDiff Pro Can)
- Compare directories and binary files.
- Perform three-way diff and merge.
- Edit files inside comparison panes.
- Highlight diffs down to the level of words or characters.
- Highlight syntax and ignore comments.
- Ignore lines and part of lines matching regular expressions.
- Print diff reports and create interactive HTML reports.
- Word wrap long lines.
- Use plug-ins to compare documents, ZIP files, and more.
- Integrate with Windows Explorer.
- Use named comparison sessions.
- Support Unicode.
- There is no need to specify both filenames: just enter a directory name for one of the files to be compared. ExamDiff will try to use an entered filename with a specified directory name.
- Remembers a user-specified number of last compared first and second files. This allows quick selection of the two files the user wishes to compare.
- Autopick feature in Compare dialog that remembers matching file pairs.
- Automatically detects file changes and prompts the user to re-compare files.
- One push re-compare function which attempts to leave the viewer's focus in the same place as before the re-compare.
- Drag and drop support for dropping one or two files into the program's window (e.g. from Windows Explorer).
- Easy editing of the first and second files. ExamDiff will spawn any editor (configurable by the user) with the first or second file, and line number option (available for editors that support this, through ExamDiff variables: $FILE (first or second file name), $CURFIFF (number of line at which the current difference starts), and $CARET (number of line where the caret is located).
- Saves the file differences in a standard UNIX DIFF file.
- Easy navigation through the differences via "Previous Difference"/ "Current difference"/ "Next Difference" buttons and hot keys or via a drop-down list box of all the differences
- Allows the copying of text from the comparison panes via drag and drop, a hot key, or a right button pop up.
- Simple "Search" command to search for strings in the comparison panes. It also remembers a user specified number of most recent searches.
- Customizable text and background colors, font, tab size, and "Show Differences Only" option as well as options to "Ignore white spaces in lines", "Ignore changes in amount of white spaces in lines", "Ignore case", "Treat files as text files", "Ignore leading white space in lines" and "Ignore trailing white space in lines" for comparison.
- Fully customizable file extension filter. For example, the user can choose only .c and .cpp files or any other files he/she chooses to be displayed.
- Tooltips which include file properties (when the mouse cursor is placed over the pane title bars), difference number (when the cursor is over the yellow triangle marking the current difference), and etc.
- Adjustable pane splitter with smooth synchronized scrolling. Allows easy toggling between horizontal and vertical splitter orientation as well as splitter centering and panes hiding.
- Command line options include:
Usage: ExamDiff [Filename1] [Filename2] [Options]
Filename1, Filename2 are names of files to be compared
Options are any of:
/i ignore case /w ignore all white space in lines /b ignore changes in amount of white space in lines /l ignore leading white space in lines /e ignore trailing white space in lines /t treat both files as text files /d show differences only /n don't show initial "Compare Files" dialog /aN scroll trough all differences with N second delay and exit after the last difference /?,/h print this screen
Options /i, /w, /b, /l, /e, /t, or /d can be used with "!", in which case the option will be negated (e.g. /!i means do not ignore case).
If options /i, /w, /b, /l, /e, /t, or /d are not set, the last used options remain in effect
- Version: 1.9
- Supported OS versions: Windows 95/98/Me/2000/XP/2003/Vista/7/2008
- Download size (EXE with installation): 539 KB (552,376 bytes)
- Download size (ZIP with installation): 518 KB (531,297 bytes)
- Download size (without installation): 288 KB (295,328 bytes)
- Executable file version: 220.127.116.11
- Executable file size: 574 KB (588,072 bytes)
- Executable file time: October 1, 2011, 12:19 (GMT -8)
- Price: Free
- PrestoSoft (EXE)
- PrestoSoft (ZIP)
- PrestoSoft (ZIP, without installation)
- CNet (EXE)
- French translation (EXE, courtesy of DenB)